Monday, August 14, 2006

Tom Cora : Gumption In Limbo

The untimely departure of genius cellist & multiinstrumentalist Tom Cora was an immense loss to the worldwide creative music community. He was simply one of the very best. And played with all the best. This is the only studio one of his three solo cello albums and is pure Cora.
A friend of mine was lucky enough to witness one of his solo appearances and he told me this little anecdote: Cora went to a walk before the concert and met and befriended some neighbourhood children. Invited them to the show and finally when they showed up, he introduced them to the audience and played them a potpourri of cartoon tunes. Don't know why, but every time i think of him, these pictures pop up in my mind...

Gumption

4 Comments:

Blogger Evil Do'er said...

brilliant, didn't know this one!

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nice heart-warming story! It tells much about him - sadly, I'd never seen him, but looking at the pictures, he must've been some very friendly cat!

I really like your posts, very genuine! - though the comments section seems somewhat deserted... would be nice to read some of yours! ;)

Cora, This Heat, Rec.Records, the magnificent solo Frith - I wonder what you will pull out of your "Atomic Atlas" in the future!

Thanks again!

4:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK...
guess I should have posted my comment under this post. Just wanted to thank you and ask if you could possibly repost this??? PLEASE!

jim

10:40 AM  
Blogger Gerald said...

Can I just add my voice to those who have requested that this be reposted? I love Tom Cora and have never heard this album. Would love to have it. Thanks, Jerry

3:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home